My lab is recruiting masters and PhD students who are interested in working on new statistical models, optimization algorithms, interactive systems, and software for machine learning. If you are interested in joining, please read the application instructions.
- 2018-present: Assistant Professor, Northern Arizona University, School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems.
- 2014-2018: Postdoc, McGill University, Human Genetics Department, with Guillaume Bourque.
- 2013: Postdoc, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Computer Science Department, with Masashi Sugiyama.
- 2009-2012: PhD student, Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan, Computer Science Department, with Francis Bach and Jean-Philippe Vert.
- 2008-2009: Masters student, Université Paris 6, Statistics Department, with Mathieu Gautier and Jean-Louis Foulley.
- 2006-2008: research assistant at Sangamo BioSciences.
- 2002-2006: undergraduate, UC Berkeley, Double major in Molecular & Cell Biology and Statistics, with Terry Speed.
- Full CV, Short Bio.
Research interests: fast and accurate algorithms for convex optimization (clustering, regression, ranking, classification) and discrete optimization (changepoint detection, dynamic programming). The main application domain for the algorithms I develop are in genomic data analysis (DNA copy number, ChIP-seq, etc); other applications include neuroscience, audio, internet, sensors, recommendation and ranking systems.
I think reproducible research is important, so in addition to every paper I write, I also provide
- A reference implementation of the algorithm(s) described in the paper, typically as an R package.
- Source code for doing the analyses and creating the figures, typically in a GitHub repo.
If you want to send me encrypted/signed messages, you can use my GPG key (fingerprint 1D46 6295 2738 32E6 F70B 9F64 45B0 8611 CDB1 FA96).
My ORCID is 0000-0002-3146-0865.
|Jul 15, 2021||Our paper about Wide-to-tall Data Reshaping Using Regular Expressions and the nc Package has been published in R Journal.|
|Jul 5, 2021||Our talk about RcppDeepState, a simple way to fuzz test Rcpp packages, was presented in a 20 minute talk video during the international useR 2021 virtual conference.|
|Jun 14, 2021||Our paper about Increased peak detection accuracy in over-dispersed ChIP-seq data with supervised segmentation models has been published in BMC Bioinformatics.|
|Mar 16, 2021||Our paper about Improved estimation of gut passage time considerably affects trait‐based dispersal models has been published in Functional Ecology.|
|Jan 6, 2021||Our paper about A Greedy Graph Search Algorithm Based on Changepoint Analysis for Automatic QRS Complex Detection was accepted by Computers in Biology and Medicine.|